View Single Post

Old 04-18-2018, 05:32 PM

Liked 11,453 Times in 3,023 Posts

Nice looking 1911. I have heard good things about the ATI Philippine import. My full size RIA 1911 is a great shooter, especially for the money spent. The problem with these shorty 1911's is higher slide velocity, and less time for an empty to eject, and a fresh round to feed. A strong magazine spring, along with a stronger recoil spring usually makes the difference in reliability. The recoil spring in these short 1911's does not last as long as a full size will, and some manufacturers recommend replacement every 600 rounds or so. From what I have read, dual recoil spring set ups in these short 1911's seem to work better than single spring set ups.

I replaced the recoil spring in my Kimber Ultra Carry at about 600 rounds, and have a total of about 1000 thru it now with complete reliability. I would like to leave the spring in, and see how many rounds before I started having issues, but I carry this gun often, so need reliability.

I read Wilson Custom recommends lighter weight bullets in a 3 inch 1911 for improved reliability, but I have mostly used various 230 grain loads with no reliability issues in mine.

Larry