View Single Post

Old 04-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
The Glock 17 came out in 1982 and is still in production. That was 36 years ago. And it is almost as old as the P220. Yes there have been modifications to the 17 and other guns designed based on it (like the 19) but S&W does the same thing. Look at all the dash number variations of the 629. Most of those didn't last 5 years.

It hasn't been just Glock that sticks with designs either. Taurus has been making the PT series polymer pistols for quite a while. They started out being called "Millennium" if that tells you anything.

There have been some models that showed up and disappeared quickly but an average of 5 years seems low to me. And again the P220 isn't really a lot older than the Glock designs. That's why I was thinking it wasn't really a traditional in the sense of a 1911 or Hi Power or the revolvers that were pretty much designed in the 19th century. Look how far back the Colt Official Police went. It was still in production when many of the guns mentioned here were being made. The P220 has no history like that.
Well, you've got me there. Glock is always the exception to everything. The G17Gen4 came out in 2010 and the G17Gen5 came out last year... so that's 7 years between design changes (I had said <5). We'll have to wait and see how long the Gen5 guns last. Methinks it will depend on when Glock feels it needs another sales boost.

But your point is entirely valid about traditional S&W revolver updates, even if some were ridiculously minor (and some, I'll admit, were major). I'll give you that.

But in the context of this discussion, if everything designed around WWII or thereafter is to be considered a "firearm of today", then I guess that would make me a really big fan of "firearms of today"! Problem solved!