View Single Post

Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster1313 View Post
I've shown this photo more than once. Five rounds of the Federal Red Box from the OP, single action, sitting with my hand resting on a piece of carpet atop a block of wood. 5" pre-27:

I am curious if the vertical spread is due to variable powder weight in the factory loads, but I think it is probably due to my inability to focus on the rear sight well enough to line it up with the top of the front sight
Focus mainly on the front sight. And don't rest your hand on carpet or wood. If you have to shoot in the field, you won't have those, or time to use them.

If your range allows, try Keith's two-handed sitting position for steadiness at longer ranges. Very steady. But don't have the gun right between your knees, as the blast from the gap between barrel and cylinder will burn you!

If you don't own a copy of, "Sixguns by Keith", Elmer Keith, 1961, rev. ed., stop fooling around and buy one and read it, carefully. I personally saw Elmer fire a .44 Magnum at 200 yards, and can assure you that he wasn't being fanciful about his abilities. I learned a lot about shooting from him and Jeff Cooper.

I think your .357 is capable of much more than you realize. I've owned four M-27's and pre-27's and all would shoot very well, indeed. You should be able to place all six shots in a single ragged hole at 25 yards, firing from "offhand." If I could do that, more distinguished shooters can do better, at least at long range. You should certainly be able to hit a man-shaped silhouette to at least 100 yards, most of the time. I used to practice on gallon milk jugs.

Last edited by Texas Star; 04-20-2018 at 05:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: