View Single Post

Old 04-21-2018, 10:48 AM

Liked 29,097 Times in 14,068 Posts

"HOWEVER: there was a batch of Chinese made ammo marked 44 that is Berdan Primed and extremely corrosive!(This hit the country in the early to mid 80's and is in boxes that say it is American made!)"

Regarding military ammunition, all U.S. GI .30 Carbine ammunition has always used noncorrosive primers. That was part of the original military specification, and at that time it was the only U. S. military small arms round which was made using NC primers as standard. That was necessary as there was no good way to clean the carbine's gas port and tappet. In addition to the Chinese L C headstamped .30 Carbine ammunition mentioned (and I have some of it in my collection, headstamped L C 52), there is also French and Dominican Republic-made corrosive primed military ammunition that shows up occasionally. And maybe from other sources I don't know of. It's good to be wary of any military .30 Carbine ammunition having a foreign headstamp.

I don't have the story about the corrosive Chinese L C - headstamped ammunition, but I do have a theory. If anyone knows details I would be interested to know them.

Last edited by DWalt; 04-21-2018 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: