View Single Post

Old 04-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Some work to tighten up the attachment point betw the recv'r and the stock lug at the back of the recv'r helps as already mentioned.
Having the action and componets in some sort of solid bedding then helps to settle the thing down. The front bbl band, handguard,stock arrangement usually needs some attention as they can put various side, up or down pressure on the bbl when assembled.

All this is really nothing more than what you'd expect of any rifle you pick up and examine before shooting.
If you looked over your bolt action sporter and saw that the action could be shucked back and forth in the wood, the trigger group/guard was a moving unit or that the bbl moved like a compass pointer as you tightened things down,,you wouldn't expect much from 'her at the range either.

Basic bedding will help a lot.
Things like a crunchy 6# trigger pull you might have to live with unless you feel comfortable delving into such complexities.
Some of them aren't too bad though!

Check the sights, they can be sloppy fit within the unit itself and move around with each shot giving you a new adjustment each time. That ='s a new point of aim though you are not aware of it. It only takes a few .000 of change to effect it of course,,just like a turning a sight adj a click or two each shot in different directions randomly and seeing what kind of group you get.

The best I ever got w/my Winchester M1 Carbine was just over 3" at 100m, and that wasn't something I could repeat very often. Usually more like 4" groups.
But they were much better than the 6+ inch groups I started with before the tinkering.
It looked like a real tackdriver at 50m!
All with surplus WW2 ammunition. I never reloaded for it.

All gone now, kind of miss it.