View Single Post

Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed View Post
Good afternoon, fellow 58 fans. A lot of nice revolvers here.

Quick question for any one of you - could you please measure the height of the front sight on your revolver for me?

I'm looking for the measurement of top (flat) of barrel to extreme top of the front sight.

I had traded for a great model 58 in Montana, that I found later belonged to a fellow member here on the the forum from Missouri. Apparently, if I remember correctly, he had sold it to another member from Texas.

Anyway, this model 58 had the original front sight drilled and fitted with a speck of glow-in-the-dark luminant that was filled with dust and whatnot, and because it was so far in to the sight, never saw any light, and thus would never glow.

Being that I obsess over things too much, I just had to "fix" the thing because all it was was a hole right into the front sight.

So, I sent it off to the factory for replacement, and I just got it back recently, and I'm really disappointed in the work.

The sight does not lay flat against the top of the barrel, so that now I constantly get a rag wedged under the leading edge, and it also appears to be way too high compared to the pictures I see here of original ones.

I thought about taking it out back and shooting it to check elevation, but I'm not really happy about the whole thing, and can't bring myself around to running expensive .41 mag ammo through it, being that the front sight isn't sitting flat against the barrel, to begin with.

So with all of that said, could one or two of you put a caliper on your front sight and let me know what it should be? I'm going to have to get this one replaced too, and I want to fit it with the correct one.

Thanks much, in adavance.
After writing this, I was able to remember how to add photos. Here's the pics of my 58 before sending to S&W (with the hole drilled in the sight), and after (with the unseated sight).

I've since removed the unseated front sight, but I'm still waiting for someone to put a caliper on their revolver, and tell me what the height is suppose to be so that I can purchase a replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by lowspeed; 04-22-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: correct misspelling
The Following User Likes This Post: