View Single Post

Old 04-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Liked 33,218 Times in 9,073 Posts
Default Mystery Barton’s Special

Last year, in June, SAFireman very generously ran a karma for a Barton’s Special for a Colt Detective Special, saying “I have a very nice, floral carved holster. I bought this thinking that it would fit a K frame - it does not. One of our esteemed forum experts thinks that it may fit a Colt Detective Special.”

I have a Detective Special, 2nd model, entered the karma, and was fortunate enough to win it, much to my delighted surprise. All SAFireman asked in return was that I post a photo of my DS in the holster. I promised to do so after returning to the US from my Japan residence.

Here it is:

I also asked resident expert Turnerriver to offer his opinion on the piece. Having seen the holster, he initially explained, from memory: “It is at least a high quality copy of a Barton's Special holster as made by S.D. Myres, it may have been made by Myres...” Then, after further reviewing photos: “My guess is that your holster is a copy of a Myres holster, a very good high quality copy. Holsters were ordered without a maker's logo and of course some leather workers moonlighted so your holster could be an unattributed Myres or a well made knockoff. It's a nice one no matter who made it.”

I think it a very fine holster indeed, and I am delighted to have won the karma, but.... I am not sure it is meant for a DS. While it slips in easily enough, it is not a snug fit around the trigger guard. And it will fall right out if held upside down

I am thinking maybe we need to continue the search for the correct handgun. Or, am I just unfamiliar with how these vintage holsters fit?

What say you?

Last edited by Onomea; 04-24-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added gap pic
The Following 22 Users Like Post: