View Single Post

Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 PM

Liked 326 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
One thing you may have to pay attention to is the size of the neck expander button used in your reloading dies. Case necks will have to be sized to securely hold the seated bullets, and a couple of thousandths difference can spell the difference between serviceable ammo and unserviceable.
That's true. The Lee 7.62x54R sizing die sizes the neck way down and the expander ball opens it up to only 0.305" for use with 0.308" bullets. I first bought a whack-a-mole Lee loader for 7.62x54R which neck sizes only and brings the neck down to 0.310". My 91/30 slugged at 0.312" so I beagled my mold to drop at 0.315" using copper foil tape and opened up my push through sizer to 0.314". I still use the press mounted seating die to seat the bullets.

Russian conscripts had to shoot full power spam can ammo which can be tolerable with a heavy winter coat but is brutal on your shoulder at the range in 90 degree short sleeve weather so I down load my 185g bullets to a manageable 2000 fps with Rx7 and also have some plinker loads using 10g Unique which is just fine for punching paper with open sights at 50 yards.

The Following 2 Users Like Post: