View Single Post

Old 04-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default The 'unofficial' 58 Club

Over 40 years ago I won an 8 3.8" 57 at a shooting match (it had been fired and came with two boxes of ammo).

My intent was to sell it since I already had a couple .44 Magnums but I made the mistake of shooting it - one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever encountered.

So I started handloading for it. Then a good friend who I boar hunted with (he was an engineer in the ammo dept of a major manufacturer) showed me his model 58 converted to .45 Colt - every time he shot one it just fell down on the spot and I wanted to make one so I started looking for model 58s.

In short order I found deals on 3 of them. One had been roundbutted, one had a lot of wear on the finish, and one was pristine.

I left the pristine one alone and it turned out to be very accurate. I picked the one with the less than perfect finish for conversion but came upon a deal on a .44 Magnum barrel and a cylinder for free so it sort of made its own choice to become a .44.

I cut the barrel off at the ejector rod housing (3.25" I think) and round butted it - alas the most accurate load for it is full charge Federal 240 gr JHPs - they hurt! I sort of shelved the project and have not refinished the gun yet but some day.

I am not sure how to post pics but I will try (the group on the left was Triton 165 and the right was Federal 240 JHP - shot at 25 yards)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W58custom.JPG (42.6 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Riposte1; 04-28-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added caption
The Following 3 Users Like Post: