View Single Post

Old 04-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Liked 179 Times in 78 Posts

SAWBONES somewhat answered my main concern about having a ported snubnose (.38 or .357) when he replied...

-
"NONE of them blow firing residue into my face, not even with the barrel held inches away."
-

With my not owning any ported firearms, nor having ever fired a ported firearm, I have no way to confirm this.

However, my biggest concern is the effect of having to fire a ported snubnose revolver during an encounter where one would be in very close proximity (namely, a hands on struggle) with the perpetrator and having the immediate need to do a contact shot to the perpetrator's upper body while the ported snubnose was close to the shooter, and the port chambers being directed upward, toward shooters face.

I know that in a contact shot from a revolver, the gases would naturally escape from around the cylinder (outwards) and muzzle (in toward the body), but I've always wondered about the discharge pressure (blast) and gases which were directed upward through the porting? Would that have an adverse effect on the shooter?

I'd be interested in hearing any comments about this matter.