View Single Post

Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 PM

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck13 View Post
That sounds like a pretty light crimp for H110, although I guess that depends on the die and how much flare you had, which would affect when it "touched the die." I've only used the stuff a little, but the conventional wisdom with H110 is to crimp heavily.

Can you post a photo of the crimp?

Can you judge neck tension? Try seating without crimping, note the bullet position, then push pretty hard on the bottom of the case with your thumb and see if it drives the bullet in. Minimizing your expansion and flare might also help with giving tighter bullet pull for better ignition. Last ammo I loaded was .38 Special with Lee dies. I flared all the cases comfortably in case I wanted to use cast bullets with any. Wound up using only Xtreme plated and Nosler JHP. The Xtremes seated normally (can't be started by hand past the flare). The Noslers would slip all the way to the canalleur with firm finger pressure! I was using HP38, so I hoped they would not be a problem, and accuracy seemed fine, but I'd have been sorry about that die setting if I'd been planning to use a slow powder. I will have to try much less flare the next time I plan to load those bullets.
The one on the left has no crimp, one in middle has 1/4 turn and one on right has 1/2 turn of the die
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE8EC1A7-D745-4225-9C38-D9D0D86F9FF4.jpg (73.8 KB, 172 views)