View Single Post

Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,346 Times in 5,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Göring's S&W View Post
. . . While I see where you are coming from, some considerations . . . Although the condition was not great, it was a blued example. Blue is scarcer for these earlier top breaks . . . Would I pay the hammer price? No I would not . . . Saying that the sale price is way high implies it can be had for less but when the variation isn't around, that argument is basically nullified . . . Just my two cents....
I love the discussion, since I am well aware that there are lots of people out there with different interpretations of the item sold, but if that particular revolver is worth anywhere near that money, all the others I have seen have sold way too cheap. Let's give it a break and say that the 5" barrel is worth 50% premium and the stocks will double that value, where are we? All that gives one a $750 hammer price, besides the description does not state the stocks are numbered to the gun, so a "shot in the dark" so to speak.

I watch antique S&Ws closely and see 2nd Models out there, with 100,000 made, the key to me is that few are high condition and most are in worn condition. I will agree that very few will be found in any grade better than Very Good, by SCSW4 standards, but the lesser grades do show up and have not sold for big money - besides I think a Very Good rating is being kind to that old 38 DA. Sure, Jim & Neal's book is a guide, but what better source is there to ballpark valuation? I will also say that auction prices are usually in line with what is stated in that guide. I collect for the enjoyment of the chase and the ability to hold pieces of history, and filling holes, but refuse to pay any price way beyond standard valuations, since other opportunities will come along. Maybe that's just me, but bottom line is that my guns will be sold someday and I am just not be around long enough to get my money out of that 38 DA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Göring's S&W View Post
One other point...The blued examples of this model nearly always had a German silver front sight, so this front sight is exactly right for the gun since the gun is blued.
Correct me if I am mistaken which is often, but German silver does not show red-oxide and if you take a close look, the blade sure looks to have rust on the blade with small pits??? I do not think copper, zinc, and nickel would produce that type of rough red color?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (75.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by glowe; 04-29-2018 at 09:30 AM.