View Single Post

Old 04-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt_saa View Post
Less muzzle flip is better.

Part of the problem is peoples expectations of what handgun porting is designed to do. Many think it reduces recoil and are disappointed in the experience. As you are obviously aware, it reduces muzzle rise.

I have been carrying ported firearms for decades. I have a ported PC Model 940 Special with me right this minute. It is one of dozens of ported forearms have I have owned or shot

Most of what you hear on the Internet is more Internet rumor than fact.

Cheap practice ammunition is loaded with inexpensive powder that lacks flash suppressant. Most all of your Premium self defense ammunition offerings have a flash retardant added to the mix so this notion of being blinded by your first shot is not the case.

Additionally, if the blinding issue were a true fact, it would be a problem for almost EVERY Revolver out there since gas escapes the barrel cylinder gap long before it reaches a port.

When was the last time that you, the shooter, complained about the muzzle flash from the B/C gap?

Porting is not for everybody, some folks just can not warm up to it. Try it for yourself. Have an open mind and then decide.
Damn you have some nice revo's there! I'd be proud to own them for sure. I agree with your reply and enjoy the muzzle rise reduction of ported barrels. And you're correct again; with any self defense ammo worth it's salt will have flash retardant powder and muzzle flash is not an issue at night. It certainly hasn't been for me and my 1-7/8" barreled "J" frames at least. The only slight negative for ported barrels is decibel increase... which is moot in a self defense situation from my experience.
The only issue with extra noise is going to be the looks you get from the guys shooting to the left and right of you. But then again, it's a gun range and guns are loud. The benefits of porting outweigh the slight downside in my opinion. YMMV...
The Following 2 Users Like Post: