View Single Post

Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 AM

Liked 320 Times in 83 Posts
Default .38Spl - reversing 147gr. bullets and using as wadcutters?

I have a quantity of Black Bullet 147gr. 9mm truncated cone bullets that are out of spec. They measure .358 in diameter, so they have been causing feeding/extraction issues in the 9mm semi-auto that for which they were intended.

What are the thoughts of reversing them and using them as 147gr. wadcutters for .38 Special? The intent would be to re-purpose what are currently useless bullets into .38 rounds that can be used for casual, low-power range shooting.

My current .38Spl load is 3.5gr of HP38 under 160gr. coated lead bullets (a low-recoil competition load for IDPA). When I use the setup as it stands, my press seats the reversed 147gr. bullets to a OAL of 1.156 with 0.0167" of the flat end (original base before reversing) of the bullet above the top of the case mouth (see pic). The Hodgdon's website for HP38/148gr LHBWC bullets lists an OAL of 1.16 which confuses me because I always see wadcutters loaded flush with the mouth of the case (so it should be a 1.15 OAL), but nonetheless is pretty close to the specified length.

So the question...given that I am at the low end of the Hodgdon recommended load for a 148gr. wadcutter (3.5g grains start - 4.0 grains max), is this experiment a dangerous idea for any reason?

The only issue that crosses my mind is the different shape inside the case of the reversed truncated cone bullet (instead of being a cylinder-shape like a wadcutter). But I would think that any issues would manifest more as an accuracy issue rather than an over-pressure concern.

So, looking for input from people who have played with uncommon revolver loadings.