View Single Post

Old 04-30-2018, 02:47 PM

Liked 320 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCantu357 View Post
Would it be possible to load them right side up as a 147 grain .38 Special - like the old Federal Hydra-Shok load?
Haven't tried it, but not sure what depth they'll load to with my setup for 160gr LRN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
With the truncated cone nose of the bullet inside the case, I would worry about gas cutting in the barrel - that would divert propelling gasses to the edges of the bullet rather than the base. It would lessen obturation (expansion of the bullet to seal the gas pressure) and focus the hot gasses to the edges of the bullet. Over time, the rifling erosion could be significant and affect accuracy.
I could see that. But note that I am only talking about approximately 500 bullets, so it would not be a long-term activity, nor confined to a single gun. But this issue would make me concerned about firing them in my pre-14 K-38.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
What's wrong with just loading them pointy end out, in your 38 Special? Don't want to adjust your dies?
Bingo. I have my current setup dialed in for competition loads, and really don't want to futz with it just to load up a few hundred rounds of play ammo, and then futz with it again to get it back to where it needs to be for my competition ammo.

I'll experiment a little with loading them in the correct orientation. I did load and test fire three with the bullets reversed. Accuracy was fine, and there was no over-pressure indications at the case mouth or flattened primers. But it can't hurt to see what my setup does when putting them in the right way.

Thanks for all the input.