View Single Post

Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
Hi Joefan 1968:

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the photo of your father's Model 10 and holster. The holster is interesting - is it an American made holster that has been modified with the shell loops, or is a locally made one? I just missed out on Viet Nam - I was 18 yrs. old when I joined the Army in 1975, but I knew guys that were there, and they told me that you could have locals make holsters and other gear for you very cheaply. The Western-style, or "gunfighter" holsters were very popular, and a lot cooler looking than anything Uncle Sam ever issued.

To add to Taroman's comments, I knew a chopper pilot that was seconded to the CIA to fly "special missions". He wasn't supposed to be armed for some odd reason, so he had to go to the "black market arms room" to acquire his sidearm. He ended up buying an old Webley top-break revolver because he thought it "looked cool", and it didn't look even remotely like anything an American GI would carry.

Regards,

Dave
Hi Dave...I really don't know the story on the holster...It's the one my dad always had with the gun...This is what the back looks like, and then the leather strap wraps around the front and has the buckle...There are no manuf. markings or dates on it anywhere...So it could be like you said, someone had it made over there...

20180501_185504 by Matthew Peregoy, on Flickr