View Single Post

Old 05-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts

When an AR is over gassed, there is only one fix. Reduce the gas drive. Heavier buffers and stiffer springs may help with the symptoms, but still do nothing to fix the problem.

Many consider H and H2 buffer to be "heavy" buffers but in reality, both buffers are lighter than the original rifle buffer. Carbine buffers are too light, even when an AR is gassed right. The H buffer is the lightest buffer an AR should use.

A properly set up 5.56 AR with a carbine RE uses an H or H2 buffer and a quality carbine action spring, such as a Colt action spring or Sprinco white or blue action spring.

How a BCG group feels is a good indicator how ask AR is gassed. The ejection "chart is not. If the carrier feels like it's slamming back and it's using the proper buffer and spring, the next issue to address is gas drive. An overly large gas port can be fixed by t replacing the barrel, installing an adjustable gas block or using a micro tune gas port from Black River Tactical.

The easiest and most versatile fix is the adjustable gas block. I use the SLR adjustable gas block. It uses click stops for positive adjustments and it's rugged. If anything goes wrong with it, SLR will take care of it, no questions asked.

The most economical is the BRT Micro Port. It's not adjustable, so there are no moving parts. But the Micro ports are replaceable, do the owner can try different diameters to tune their AR. BRT Micro Ports do require the gas block gas port be threaded for installation.

Nightrainnc, to tame your over gassed Sport, install an H2 buffer with your JP spring, then tune the gas drive with an SLR adjustable gas block. If you want to keep your original gas block, use the Micro Port kit from Black River Tactical.

About my previous post- Sometimes I'm a jerk.