View Single Post

Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 AM
US Veteran

Liked 606 Times in 220 Posts

I agree with the tip to use the Hornady .312 jacketed.

I've got a 1930 Tula hex. I slugged the bore, and got .315 (!) groove diameter. I would recommend you slug the bore before you get too involved with it.

I'm currently using the Hornady .312 jacketed, and getting good results with it. I'm shooting 3.5" groups at 75 yds with irons, and am getting much better as I practice.
The bore of my MN , while dark and lightly pitted, has strong rifling. I've retrieved a few of the fired bullets, and they show good rifling on the jackets, indicating a good 'grip' in the bore. I haven't felt the need to go heavier with jacketed.

My longer-term goal is shooting at the local club military matches. I recently received a mold, NOE calls it a 316213 RN. This is NOE's version of the Lyman 312299, but bigger around, for the monster bore size of some Mosins
Mine casts at .3165-.317, with a .305 nose, using CWW with 1% added tin. A very nice mold, which casts wonderfully. I'm wanting to shoot these at ~1700 - 1800fps, and I'm just waiting in a custom H&I die to get on with it.
The Following User Likes This Post: