View Single Post

Old 05-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Liked 257 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
The cylinder is heat treated and takes a re-blue differently Than the rest of the gun. The purple is common when re-blued if the refinisher is not too savvy about bluing it properly. With matching serial # it's the original which it looks like anyway with the heavy chamfers on the front of the flutes.

You say the grip does have the serial penciled, but didn't specifically say if it matched the gun #. The grips are from before 1930 when stamping the # was re-introduced. They are likely original to gun, but someone could have written the # on them if replaced; they're awfully good condition compaered to the gun.

We already know the gun predates 1922-23 because it lacks the MADE IN U.S.A. stamp on right front of the frame.
I just keep learning new stuff. So now I know it predates 1922-23. Yes, the penciled in number on the inside of the one grip panel matches the other numbers.

So, just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to install an original 1917 barrel? Not that I can go buy one. But, just curious of the difficulty level. Looks like punch the pin out and slide out barrel, unless it's press fit, or threaded.
The Following User Likes This Post: