View Single Post

Old 05-05-2018, 12:46 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,779 Times in 1,815 Posts

Two things:

Could you get a good shot of that rear sight? It has been modified and I'd be curious who did it.

Second thing is that there is no way to actually restore the gun. You can have it refinished but it won't be a correct refinish. Ford's does a beautiful job, but do not fool yourself into thinking it is a restoration. The proper blue that would go on a gun like this for an actual restoration is not something anyone does any more (or even knows how to do as far as I am aware).

Even if you could get the original blue on it, you still would have to address the stuff done to the rear sight for a "restoration".

If I were you I would clean it very well and get it looking as good as it can look with the current finish challenges that are on there.

Shoot it. See how you feel about it.

When you have carefully removed any corrosion that is still there, you will see there is still a lot of the original blue on there, despite the abuse and neglect. If you re-finished it that lovely blue would be gone forever.

Personally I think you have a great gun with personality, and a refinish would look ok, but would remove all the personality, still not be right, and cost you more money then you would ever get back out of it again.

With these old guns I will probably always suggest to anyone looking at a refinish to simply save your pennies for one that looks the way you want it to look when you buy it. Ultimately you will be a lot happier.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: