Thread: S&W GOVERNOR
View Single Post

Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Liked 7,366 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemgis View Post
Took my new gov to the range a few days ago to shoot a mix of 45 colt,45 cap, and Federal .410 handgun 000. Had a great time 'till I got to my third Federal. After firing, the cylinder jammed and couldn't be opened without a healthy thump against the carpeted shooting bench.

Later I noted that the base of the offending shell had a pronounced bulge over a length of about a 1/6 of an inch. Since then I've loaded the three types of ammo and noted that all seem to have a fair amount of daylight showing between the base of the cartridge or shell and the face of the frame (headspace?)

I'm reluctant to fire the federal again and worse yet to rely on the gov for nightstand security. Thoughts?
Sounds like it needs a trip back to the mothership. Those shells ought to fit snuggly inside of the cylinder with little to no visible light between the rim and the frame.
Granted that I'm basing this on my Taurus Judge Magnum, but the Governor is a clone of the Judge and it's highly unusual for a Taurus to have tighter tolerances than a Smith & Wesson.

At any rate, I would at least call up S&W about the matter because that is most certainly not normal . I've never heard anyone having such issues with Federal .410 Handgun out of a Governor, nor even a Judge or BFR for that matter.

Last edited by Echo40; 05-06-2018 at 06:17 PM.