View Single Post

Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 PM

Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
Hi Goodoboy:

A few suggestions for you:

1. Steve Rinella, aka "The Meateater" is a successful hunter and writer. He also does podcasts and has a TV-show or two on hunting. Rinella is a good writer, and one of my favorite books is: "The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game"

The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game by Steven Rinella, Paperback | Barnes & Noble(R)

2. You might want to think about becoming a Hunter Safety Instructor:

Become an Instructor — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

This will give you a chance to learn a lot about hunting, and hunting safety. Once you become an instructor, you will meet a lot of hunters who will be happy to share their tips and knowledge with you.

3. The TYHP (Texas Youth Hunter Program) is an educational program run by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD). TYHP is an outstanding program that introduces young people to hunting:

Texas Youth Hunting Program

They have a small, paid staff, but depend on volunteers to make the program run. If you have children, you should consider letting them join. If you don't you should think about offering your services as a volunteer. My son was a member for 2 years until he "aged out" at 18. We attended a number of hunts and always had a great time. On the hunts, you'll meet hunters and their families from all over the state. You'll also meet the landowners, who sponsor the hunts on their land, and you may receive invitations from them to come back and hunt with them.

4. Consider joining online hunting forums. One of my favorites is the Texas Bowhunter forum:

texasbowhunter.com

Don't worry if you're not a bowhunter - there are plenty of members who hunt with firearms only. It is a great forum with very knowledgeable and generous members - kind of like this forum. This can be a great resource for you - especially if you are just starting hunting.

Good luck,

Dave
Thank you soo much Double-O-Dave;

For the great advice and references. I really appreciate it.