View Single Post

Old 05-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Default Quick Update

I have the long center drill and extra long twist drills needed to install the ER detent in the block headed this way...should arrive today. In anticipation of that, I removed the barrel last night, hopefully for the last time, and removed what I thought was about the right amount of material from the front sight blade and contoured it accordingly. I ended up taking off about .065", as this looked good but allowed ample lower elevation adjustment of the rear sight...maybe a third of its total travel. Gone, I think, is the slightly too tall, cartoon-ish look I mentioned before:
Before and after(kind of reminds me of a statistics class I took in college ):

But, now a problem. I knew I would need to shorten the ER detent (I think S&W calls it a cylinder lock) to accommodate the shorter detent block I installed, but as you look at this pic, it will be clear what the problem is:

I knew I would need to shorten the detent and planned to do so from the rear, but doing that would also remove the rear shoulder of the flat intended to allow the cross pin to retain the detent when the cylinder is open. Yes, I can shorten it from the front, but that will require all the reshaping of that critical detent nose, and, if I were going to do that, I could have just made one from scratch and used standard size holes, instead of using expensive oddball drills to match the existing detent dimensions (for example, I bought an extra long 2.2mm drill to match the detent minor diameter...try finding one of those!). Also, leaving enough of the major diameter to piston in and out smoothly might leave precious little room for even a shortened spring. Anyway, I don't have to decide on how much to shorten until the drills arrive, but this is how it goes with these projects...the best laid plans...

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 05-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.