View Single Post

Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFan View Post
Hi All!

Are there any leather care products members prefer for basic external care of holsters? I'm sure I'm not alone in having accumulated an odd mixture of holsters over the years (black/brown, plain/basket weave, etc.). When some start seeming a bit dry on the outside, what are good choices for giving them a quick wipe down with to keep the leather fresh and clean without leaving residues/stains/etc.?

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!
Not a pro. Just a hobbyist that builds some of my own holsters. Here's how I learned to take care of veg tanned leather like holsters are made from. YMMV.

Three things for treating veg tanned leather.
Cleaning - moisturizing (oiling) - protective sealing.

Cleaning - If it's dirty, use either non-flavored carbonated water (club soda) or saddle soap as a surfactant to lift the dirt off the surface of the leather. Let it dry after cleaning.

Moisturizing (oiling) - Use a light coat of non-oxidizing oil on the surface to moisturize the collagen fibers in the leather to keep it from cracking. Light coat, don't use much. You can use pure neatsfoot oil, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or lanolin. Two things with neatsfoot. It will darken the leather - the others won't. Also use pure neatsfoot oil, not neatsfoot "compound". Neatsfoot Compound is neatsfoot oil mixed with other oils (e.g. fish oil) to make it cheaper. The "other" oils may oxidize and may damage the stitching.

Sealing - Use a low melt temp wax like Carnuba or Bees Wax to seal and protect the surface of the leather.

For just maintaining a holster or knife sheath, like Lobo mentioned, I have found neutral shoe polish is easiest. IIRC, Kiwi neutral shoe polish is Carnuba wax and lanolin oil with a bit of naptha solvent to keep the wax soft.

Anyway, that's how I learned it.

Last edited by Ziggy2525; 05-08-2018 at 04:52 AM.