Thread: Sig P365
View Single Post

Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 AM

Liked 2,939 Times in 1,071 Posts

I just picked up my P365 this weekend. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it's a really nice gun. For many years now, my summer carry gun has been a Kahr PM9, which I really like. The PM9 has always been the best size-for-caliber option available. Many have tried to challenge this standing (Glock 43, S&W Shield, Springfield, etc.) but have not been able to get a 9mm gun sized as small as the Kahr PM9. My PM9 has always been reliable, smooth shooting and has a great trigger and good sights.

Well, this new Sig is a true contender. Side by side they are just about the same size/width, with the 365 having just a (very) slightly longer slide... BTW, I have a 9mm Shield and it is definitely larger than the P365/PM9...

The sights on the P365 are awesome. They are night sights, with the front sight also being larger with a green fiber optic surrounding the tritium vile. To me, this presents very well for daytime, as well as nighttime shooting.

The trigger on the P365 is very nice, with a smooth, fairly light break (much nicer than any of my Glocks). It does have a bit of pre-travel, so the shot will not be a surprise. I honestly don't understand the need for a manual safety on a carry gun. This is not a "hair trigger," it's just a nice striker-fire trigger. Keep your finger away from the trigger until you are prepared to shoot and you'll be just fine... I would never put a striker fired gun in my pocket without a holster! The trigger on the Kahr is a longer pull compared to the Sig. I like both, it's just adjusting to the nuances of each trigger.

The main driver in me buying the P365 was that it has a 10 round mag, compared to the Kahr's 6 round mag. Now, I've not lately had the need for 10 rounds to save my life, nor 6 rounds either. And, I don't necessarily expect that to change going forward. But, it's always nice to know the extra rounds are there... To me, the Sig offers the same awesome size gun as the Kahr, with more rounds, a great trigger and sights; what's not to love...

I'll put it through its paces for reliability, and if it's good, I'll make the change to carry it. I know they had an initial misstep with the early release guns, but Sig pulled back distribution and fixed the problem. Hopefully, they've got the bugs worked out with these guns... I'll try to chime back in after a trip to the range.

I've not been a big fan of Sig in recent years, but if these guns prove to be reliable, they've got a winner with the P365.