View Single Post

Old 05-08-2018, 04:03 PM

Liked 7,401 Times in 2,514 Posts

I keep a Taurus Judge Magnum loaded with 3 rounds of Barnes VOR-TX 200gr .45LC and 2 rounds of Federal Premium .410 Handgun 000 Buck at my bedside. The gun has a heavy DA trigger and a Transfer Bar, so the odds of it going off without me deliberately pulling the trigger are virtually non-existent.

Personally, I feel that there comes a point in which safety concerns become so rampant that they're practically looping back in on themselves because the firearm is kept in such a "secure" position that it can no longer be quickly/easily readied when necessary. Situations which call for the use of a firearm seldom occur under circumstances in which one has the time to go through several steps in order to make use of the firearm, and if you cannot get your weapon ready in time, then I'm pretty sure all that safety was detrimental once you're being attacked/murdered.

I think that it's best for a firearm to require between 3-5 steps in self-defense situations, otherwise it's excessive and your "safety" has become more of a liability. (For the record, 3 of those steps are reserved for Draw/Aim/Fire leaving the remaining 2 for safety steps like unlocking a case, chambering a round, or disengaging a safety.)