View Single Post

Old 05-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Liked 2,955 Times in 1,021 Posts

Well, I go back on forth on that topic. Based on the research I have read, #1 priority is penetration, a close #2 is placement, and expansion is a very distant #3.

The advantage of a lead bullet over jacketed is the lead bullet goes faster than a jacketed bullet with the same powder charge. So a lead bullet is actually more efficient and delivers more power and speed to the target while also deforming more freely than a jacketed bullet if it is made of soft lead. Also, due to the reduced powder charge a lead bullet would have less recoil than a jacketed projectile at the same speed and weight. A gas check eliminates leading, so offers the very best of best worlds. Because the bullet is still travelling at a high speed for the caliber, penetration is a given whether the bullet expands or not.

That said, in theory, if we are to believe the internet experts who tell us modern jacketed bullets vastly superior, then they might be a better solution. IMO, it a bullet expands and penetrates predictably and reliably at slow speeds, it does definitely offer an improvement over older designs. But maximum expansion might also mean reduced penetration - simple physics tells us a slower bullet that has expanded will not penetrate as much as the faster FBI load would.

Looking at the Lucky Gunner testing, I'm not entirely convinced the internet experts are correct, and so am considering using a load that has many years of evidence proving its efficacy.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 05-09-2018 at 02:15 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: