View Single Post

Old 05-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Liked 29,147 Times in 13,778 Posts
Default It's a viable choice.....

People have all kinds of ideas about defense rounds. I've had a few of my own. I haven't adopted them, but I've experimented with some.

The heavy SWC load is as viable an option as any. Especially a soft SWCHP. I don't go along with the 'backwards HBWC' that keeps coming up. unless I have something else. I experiment a lot. A ways back I tried a 158 or even a 165 gr. JHP in a 9mm. To make a long story short, I got zero expansion on that one. But if you wanted to hit perps with a heavy slug they would certainly work.

There are different 'philosophies' on SD loads. Light/heavy fast, slow and all different kinds of bullet options.

First these are my priorities....

Placement. It's all up to me. Even my most inaccurate gun is up to hitting center of mass at 7 yards.

Penetration. They have to go deep into the central core of a person to be most effective.

Bullet choice. JPH, Short Barrel, Gold Dot. Lead bullet (Hollow point)? What weight.

Expansion. It's a plus if you can get it.

I could put SWCs in all of my guns, but I don't. Manufacturers have tested factory loads repeatedly. Some of my guns use +P. The model 38 Airweight uses standard loads.

I don't see how a defense load of something by Buffalo Bore or some other premium ammo can be outdone by the 'FBI load'.

I've decided to go with the heavier (>/= 125 grains) bullets in .38, .9mm and .357.

Modern cartridges have been tested and compared out the ying yang.

I use the cartridges that are consistently good performers. Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber, Speer GD, Hornady Critical duty.

If I wanted to duplicate, or at least come close to the old 'FBI load' for .38 I'd put an SWC on top of a powder I can get high velocity with. And then I'd only be able to shoot it in suitable guns. But if my accuracy and follow up shots started dropping off, I'd quit there.