View Single Post

Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

I have not used nor seen the Black Rock product. However, in my experience, the information provided in Lobo Gunleather's post is very good advice. It has been basically the only way I've taken care of my leather for a good many years after having learned the hard way after using others. I don't use oil or oily products on my holsters or belts. If my leather needs some color, I use as small an amount of leather dye as needed to replace or touch up existing color. I polish/buff off the dye residue with a coarse rag until I get little or no color on the rag. Then I apply the neutral shoe polish over the whole item, let it dry, and then buff with a good quality shoe shine brush and finish off by polishing with a piece of ladie's nylon hose. When finished I generally do not have problems with color transferring to my clothing and the leather looks nice.

If the neutral shoe polish is used regularly, it tends to protect the leather from drying out and the only softening that takes place is from the normal wear that will eventually somewhat soften the leather. My leather lasts a long time, but all leather will eventually deteriorate as it becomes older and under hard use. A lot depends on the original quality of the leather used to build the holster or belt! You can't start with cheap and poor quality leather and expect it to hold up long, especially with everyday hard use.

Last edited by kthom; 05-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: