View Single Post

Old 05-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Liked 74 Times in 29 Posts

Im totally going on a limb here, but I think leading wasn't really what FBI agents worried about if they had to use their guns. Just a guess. Lol, live now, clean later.

That being said, I would never use reloads for self defense, as what has been stated here. But there's different ammo for different situations. This is personally why I LOVE my 357 over other guns, minus maybe my M1A, but love for the same reason. They can both be loaded down to nothing or hopped up to full on power. In M1A Scout suppressed, have to cycle by hand subs, but suppressed, it puts 300 blk out to shame!

I think back in the day, if using snubs, its assumed your not making 50 yd shots, so slow and soft expanding is ok. In my 357 for home defense I have 38 Special, it'll work for as long as my house is and not deafen me or blind me at night. Probably same thinking with the FBI loads. Again, just guessing. Now if I had a mansion that had a 50 yard hallway? Well. Probably still 38 spl, lol. My EDC is a SIG P238 with a crimson laser, just like a modern 38 spl. Both have fast follow up shots, I'm comfortable using it and can unload in a bulls eye at 15 to 20 yds pretty well. That's all i need for self defense. I also know 2 Ex Military that carry the P238, almost bought a P938 off a buddy (ex green beret) he said he like the 380 more, faster follow ups. If he can't keep a 9mm on fast, doubt I could. It's not always about power in a self defense. Hell, obviously I could use the M1A for house duty, at full power, maybe throw in some API RDX, lol. That would light off after they've gone through the intruder, leaving him with .309 in and .309 out at that close a range, lol, but a gaping hole in the exterior of my house, a long with some blasted windshields on my truck outside...... Perfect example of this is my buddy shooting a pig at about 75 yds with his 50 BMG. Did the pig blow up? Did it dissolve into space? Nope had entrance and exit hole, almost surgical looking. Sailed right through that pig and he had to be chased. Hell, a 300 blk out super, maybe sub would've done more damage!

Point is, these bullets might have been great for what they were intended for, if it was up close and personal, or building. And they'd still be good for house defense, especially somewhere like here in FL, thick clothing isn't usually worn. Now if defending in winter, when people wear leather/denim/layers and such, then no, this would be a horrible load. But I keep 38 spl in, and 357 on my 8 shot moon clips for house duty. Beauty of a revolver. Can't do this with my P238, 10mm 1911, etc. Again, TRR8 is my FAVORITE!!!

Last edited by gehlsurf; 05-09-2018 at 09:23 PM.