View Single Post

Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

When it arrives, check for a factory re-work date on the flat grip frame (under the grips).

I once owned a factory refurbished 1899 Army that had been sent back the factory. A new barrel was installed. Instead of the correct serial number, the workman that stamped the barrel with the number "1899" (for the US Army 1899 model from the butt) and not the correct serial number of the gun, itself. To me, it was such an abomination, I sent it to a major auction house to be sold. Now, with 20/20 hindsight, I should have kept it.

Not saying this is what may have happened to yours, just verifying that the S&W factory was very capable of making errors like that. I do not think, back in the late 1800s, a factory worked needed to be literate to be employed albeit the more technical workers and foremen likely were more educated.

In the 1970s I had employed an auto body man / painter (a combo man) who was very skilled at his craft. He was approximately 50 years old at that time. I did not discover until a few years later that he was illiterate. He could not read the instructions on label of a new type of catalyzed primer we were testing out and asked me to read the directions to him.

Last edited by model3sw; 05-10-2018 at 12:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: