View Single Post

Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Liked 333 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddietruett View Post
This may sound stupid and maybe I’m missing something very obvious. Every so often a thread pops up here with someone wanting to duplicate the old “FBI Load”. Seems one of the main problems is barrel leading. Here’s my question. With all the new bullets available either factory loaded or components that are designed for penetration and expansion at short barrel velocities, why would you just not go with one of the newer style jacketed bullets and no leading problems? Most of the test I’ve seen with Speer SB, Golden Saber, and others show equal or better performance than the LSWCHP. Please set me straight if I’m missing something. I love to learn and maybe I should start experimenting.
I believe you answered your question within your question.
1. Regarding leading, it is a potential irritant during practice ONLY - that is, many barrels do not lead during practice. If the barrel has lead build-up during practice, it just takes more time to clean that barrel. Having typed that, there are lubricants whose use on barrel's bore may control that problem. Again, were nominal cost barrel lubricants and/or bullet lubricants to not control a leading problem, just mechanically remove leading - via Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's if needed.

2. The bullet has a lengthy performance history, including differences in that lengthy history among "FBI" loads from different manufacturers. This means that within limits you can tailor the amount of expansion and penetration by brand. So users of FBI loads can select factory ammunition for bullets' performance characteristics - kind've like having the factory handload for you.

3. This is a recent personal report. I bought three cases of Remington "High Terminal Performance" (current nomenclature for "FBI" load in Remington-speak) for 33¢ per cartridge delivered. This was not a single transaction. It occurred over three transactions. I doubt anyone can buy nickel plated, factory loaded "duty" ammunition that uses exotic or semi-exotic bullets at anything close to that price. If one prefers to practice with duty ammunition, savings become interesting.

Hope this helps.