View Single Post

Old 05-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Liked 688 Times in 252 Posts

I just picked up a Charter Arms Boomer, the 2 inch version of the .44 Special Bulldog. The gun is pretty much ready to go right out of the box for concealed carry, but there are a few things that I want to change before it’s what I would call perfect.

First and foremost, this is an economy grade gun. S&W J frames have a certain elegance to me, even (especially) the newer models with the matte black finish, like my 442. There are numerous tool marks on parts of the Boomer and while the lock-up is solid, the pieces just don’t seem to match up as well as on a S&W; the lack of an ejector rod shroud or lock gives an impression of an incomplete design. The curve of the Boomer’s spurless hammer is not as smooth as the curve of the frame on the internal hammer 442, although the hammer fits precisely in the solid frame. There are many sharp edges on the Boomer’s frame, yet the front and rear edges of the cylinder are nicely beveled. The trigger is serrated, not smooth like the 442, which is one of the changes I would like to make. I bought the black nitride model and the finish is well accomplished; although it is not quite black, more of a dark graphite gray. The grips supplied with the Boomer are hand-filling and do a great job of absorbing recoil, but are too large for concealed/pocket carry; another change that needs to happen.

As this gun is intended for close quarter engagements, there is no front sight, only a machined groove in the topstrap functions as the sights. I test fired three different rounds (PMC 180 grain SJHP, Blazer 200 grain JHP, and WW 240 grain LRN) from seven yards to see where they would hit. I used the same hold for all 12 rounds, centering the red bullseye of the target in the groove in the topstrap. All 12 rounds grouped in the same place, centered on the bullseye but about 6 inches high. A simple bead front sight, like on a shotgun, would do wonders for this gun without detracting from its potential for concealed/pocket carry. I also fired a couple of Speer shot loads to just to see where they would print without attempting to use the sight groove, i.e., pointing shooting; both printed squarely in the center of the target.

The action is not bad, a little rougher than a new 442. I found that I could stage the trigger to just about the point when it drops, then add a bit of pressure to follow through. If the gun had a front sight, it would be easy to keep all of the rounds on target this way.

The ported barrel appears to make a difference on this gun in reducing recoil. I was somewhat dreading shooting the Gold Dot rounds in this pistol as I experienced noticeable recoil when shooting them in my L frame 396. However, there didn’t appear to be much more recoil with the Gold Dots than with the other rounds. I’m sure than when I put more concealable (smaller) grips on the gun, there will be an increase, hopefully it will be marginal.

In all of the reviews I read or watched, it was mentioned that the Bulldog frame would fit in a J frame holster. For me, this is only partially true. I have a new-in-the-bag Mr. Softy from High Noon Holsters that lists on the label that it will fit a Charter Arms Bulldog as well as a J frame and the Boomer will not fit. I also have an older Bianchi 100 holster for a J frame that will not fit the Boomer. However, the gun fit in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and a Safariland Model 25 pocket holster, both for J frames.

I made a couple of quick measurements and found that the Boomer is closer to the size of a K frame than to a J fame. On the Boomer, the distance from the bottom of the trigger guard to the top strap is roughly 3 1/4 inches; on the J frame it’s 3 inches and on a K frame (15-2 2inch), it’s 3 1/2 inches. The diameter of the Boomer’s cylinder is 1 7/16 inches, the J frame is 1 1/4 inches, and the K frame is the same as the Boomer at 1 7/16 inches. I also checked the length from the end of the barrel to the hump at the top of the back strap; for the Boomer it’s 5 1/2 inches, the J frame is 5 3/8 inches, and the K frame is 5 5/8 inches.

I’ve already ordered a set of smooth compact grips and a BK J frame grip adapter to make the grip more concealable. After searching the ‘net, I haven’t found anyone who offers a replacement trigger, smooth or otherwise, so I guess I’ll have to do that modification myself. Even though it’s not exactly as I want it, I am carrying it in the interior pocket of my vest in the DeSantis holster. It rides well, it’s fairly lightweight, and packs a big punch, about all that I can ask for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charter Arms Boomer.jpg (120.2 KB, 31 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: