View Single Post

Old 05-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Liked 2,541 Times in 736 Posts

Shooting story today- not a wesson story, but great fun story anyway.

I host purple martins on my farm, semi domestic swallows that live in gourds. Super fun and naturally one becomes very fond and protective of ones friendly wild birds.

So there have been some crows stalking around the area under the gourds, probably scoping out the gourds for potential harvest of the young when available. Not something I support! The gourd rack is about 75 yards from my front porch, and I decided I would try just scaring them off. I have a little mauser DSM 34 22, very sweet and easy to shoot single shot military trainer from the mid thirties in Germany. So I left the tangent sight set to 25 yards and just aimed low on the body, thinking the bullet would probably pass right under them and might give them a good scare and might keep them away. (you all are probably going to have to cut me some slack for not going directly for the kill, I love most all birds, with the exception of starlings) So after 3 days and 3 shots, still the crows were coming back and lurking. So today I slid that beautifully machined slider on the tangent ladder out to the beautifully engraved numerals-75, dropped a CCI standard velocity cartridge into the chamber, and slipped out the door and braced off the wall, held the sharp point of the front sight center body, took up the first stage of the trigger... pop. He just slumped over, hardly flinched. A nice rifle is a truly beautiful and amazing thing to hold!
The Following 5 Users Like Post: