View Single Post

Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 AM

Liked 1,511 Times in 409 Posts

Most of my life I've been a J-frame guy who loves snubbies. I have carried a stainless model 60 in .38 spl with a 1 7/8 bbl., and a Model 60 .357 mag with 2 1/4 bbl.

I think there is a vast difference between the two calibers. The .357 magnum is a devastating weapon, particularly when used with the appropriate ammo loads for short-barreled guns. Follow-up shots are not complicated, provided that you have practiced, practiced, practiced and are comfortable in resetting the trigger and bringing the gun back to center mass. There is no other way to do this (i.e., master the caliber and shot placement) without dedicated practice.

Lately, I have been carrying my newer acquisition, the S&W L-Frame 686+ with 2 1/2 bbl and .357 magnum. Obviously it is larger and not for pocket carry, but the benefits of its weight and size help control beyond expectations. This model is, from posts here, likely S&Ws most popular revolver (in different barrel lengths). the 686+ handles .357 magnum rounds surprisingly easily and makes .38 spl seem like .22LR. Your mileage may vary.

Whatever you do, enjoy this great "hobby" of ours, get good at it, practice safety at all times, and develop the high degree of self-confidence that you might need if you carry on a regular basis.

Rich
The Following 4 Users Like Post: