View Single Post

Old 05-11-2018, 11:12 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
I can't dispute functionality, but I do think it has something to do with craftsmanship. Eliminating a screw and other manufacturing shortcuts definitely saves money, but (my opinion) at the expense of craftsmanship. A simple thing like doing away with the diamond on a set of stocks doesn't change functionality at all, but it reduces the level of craftsmanship put in to making them.
I don’t want to divert the thread too far into this more general topic, but I think one should not automatically equate more work with more craftsmanship. S&W was a large industrial facility in the 1950s as in the 1980s, and one should not assume that workers were placing five screw holes and screws more carefully and lovingly than later just three. Same with the recessed cylinders or stock decorations. It was just more steps in the process.

That does not preclude any argument about changes in craftsmanship over time, but such I see tied more to speed of production, automation, and quality control, not the presence or absence of redundant features.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: