View Single Post

Old 05-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Banned

Liked 1,609 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post

Nowadays, I hear of various "problems"...MIM parts breaking, sights tilted, and "THE LOCK" tying the gun up solidly, and other concerning issues, not only with Smith, but all major manufacturers. There must be some basis to the complaints, but are the majority of "problems" just internet "discussion" and complaint sessions, not amounting to much?
Unless I see it for myself I'll chalk it up to just internet rumors, trolls, and unsubstantiated hearsay. Let's start with MIM parts. "metal injection molding" which is a process of powdered metal is mixed with a binder material and is used as a feedstock to be molded or injected under pressure to create complex parts in mass production. After molding the part goes under a process to remove the binder & densify the powders.

The only time I've personally seen a MIM part break in all my years was on a old Snapper lawn mower when I changed the blade. A $4 part.

I'll add. Solid steel milled parts are more expensive to produce and in the case of older guns with hand fitted parts being "better"? Better than what? A part that has to be "hand fitted" basically means that all the parts are not within the same tolerances and have to be filed/stoned in order for the product to function as designed. Expensive in the end and a indicator of inconsistent manufacturing. MIM parts are mass produced and have much tighter tolerances, cheaper to produce and do not need any final "fitting" by hand for the product to function.

Hand fitting does not mean it's made better.

The Internal lock? S&W was not the first manufacturer that has them. They've been around for over 35 years I think with either Rossi or Taurus. There is no credible evidence that a internal lock failed in a civilian self defense shooting. None whatsoever.

Lucky Gunner is the only online source that unbiasedly discusses the story of the S&W internal lock. To me personally it is a non issue. I own 3 revolvers with it and it's like they're not even there. Personally I think internal lock on a revolver is silly as modern revolvers with frame mounted firing pins & transfer bars prevent any accidental discharges. They're ugly but in the end, is not a deal breaker to me. I'll buy a S&W that has one in a heartbeat.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...internal-lock/
The Following 4 Users Like Post: