View Single Post

Old 05-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Liked 593 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
Hey all,

I saw an interesting back and forth somewhere a couple days ago where the subject was what 357mag Snubby to carry. Not long after it started the debate kinda switched to whether packing 357mag loads actually gives you an edge over the 38 special and 38 Special +P loads. Quite a few were saying that since the barrel is as short as it is the 357mag doesn't have enough barrel to achieve its ideal velocity and therefore you are better off using a good 38 Special load with less recoil for better and more accurate follow up shots.

I don't know if that's true or not. That's why I thought I'd ask you guys (and gals) cause I know you all have lots of experience in this area and will know for sure.

If you pick up a sweet 357mag Snubby like the M&P340 or the 640 pro, what would you put in it to carry, full house 357 mag or a proven 38 special +P load?

Lastly....if you were going to carry a 357mag Snub....which one would you choose and why?

Thanks for your time and help.
Have a good weekend.
Larry
I think when people compare the two, they are talking about fps most of the time. I will always believe 357 is stronger than 38 when fired from the same barrel. However, a 38 should do the trick just fine. You'd probably never need a 357, but I always figured why not?? Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. My Buffalo Bore 180gr LFN slugs will punch through both sides of a car (provided you aren't shooting the engine block) and will still do a very good deal of damage to someone on the other side. I can't say whether or not a 38 could, I don't know the answer to that. I also think to myself, if caliber doesn't matter, why do I bother buying anything but a 22?? Statics seem to show that caliber isn't nearly as important as shot placement and that most calibers are about as effective as any other. At point blank range (which I'd imagine most self defense situations occur) a bullet to someone's face, 9mm, 38, 40, 357, 44, 45 or anything else is probably going to kill someone. I carry a 38 all the time, but sometimes, depending on where I'm going, I'll carry my Taurus 605 loaded with the 180gr Buffalo Bore 357 rounds just because. They are some vicious little rounds and I can honestly say (while I'd rather not get shot at all) I'd significantly rather get shot in, oh say the arm with a 38 than one of those Buffalo Bore rounds because the BB round may just take my arm off at the point of impact. 38 may do the same, but if I HAD to pick one to be shot with, it opt for 38 over a 357. That's just my opinion on the matter, but they have to be stronger. Again, other rounds may be equally effective, but the 357 HAS to be stronger which could serve a purpose, or then again it may not at all.

Another thing, about fps, I think people make way too big a deal out of that. Yes 1,400 fts is much faster than 1,000 fps but what does that mean? In a measuring system we all understand better, if something is moving at 1,000 fps it is traveling roughly 681 mph. That's pretty darn fast! At close range, how fast does one really need the slug to move? Anything over 681 mph is just for show. 1,000 fps is (not including end zones) 3 1/3 football fields laying down in a row every second it travels. It's almost the speed of sound (1,087 fps/741 mph). How much faster could you really need? Now that doesn't mean I don't love bigger and faster rounds, but for self defense, I mean that should absolutely suffice.

Last edited by Etalksalot; 05-11-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: