View Single Post

Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 PM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. mordo View Post
Setting aside the already discussed question of the power difference between 38 and 357, the next question in my mind is whether 357 is too much for me to shoot in a J frame.

Yes, it is.

I wish it wasn't so. I'd love to carry magnum loads in all my guns. But the simple fact is I flinch like crazy when I shoot a full tilt magnum in any of my guns except my LCR327 and my 6.5" 629. Because I'm able to shoot the LCR without an issue, I would like to try the KLCR 357 one day, and it would be at the top of my list for a pocket carry 357. For a belt carried 357, there's no question I'd get a 627 PC snubbie. I really should sell off some of my other 357s and get one of those.

Personally, I opt for low power magnums or hot SPLs in all my magnum guns for both practice and carry. I plan to start handloading light magnum 180gr XTPs for the 3" 629 I carry most days, and may eventually do the same if I decide to start carrying a 357 again. For now I just carry my 629 loaded with hot Underwood 44 SPL and a 637 loaded with .38 +P in my pocket.

I agree with you on the .44Special and the 200grain Gold Dot being my favorite anti-personnel/criminal combination for sure!

For conceal-ability... I'm happily carrying a pair of "J" frames on the nightly neighborhood dog walks and around town currently. One is filled with 158gr soft cast Lead Hollow Points from Buffalo Bore and the other with 158gr Hard Cast full wad-cutters from Buffalo Bore as well... standard pressure and 2 Bianchi speed strips of course.

For the woods and sometimes around town the 629 Deluxe 3" barreled "N" frame with your favorite load "Doc-M", the 200grain Gold Dot, standard pressure is hard to beat and with minimal recoil. For the woods, same 3" 629 with Underwood's 255 grain "Keith's" in .44Specials or their .44Specials in 200grain Hard Cast are absolutely devastating on thick pelted animals...

Here is a pic of my "New York Reload"... Maybe we should call it call this the "Adirondacks Edition" but from deep Georgia, hahahaha! Enjoy my boys!

The Following 3 Users Like Post: