View Single Post

Old 05-12-2018, 03:41 AM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I'm shooting Steel Challenge with my Ruger Mark IV that's been highly modified. I do find myself loosing my grip because my strength just isn't what it should be. I'm handicapped and shooting from a wheelchair.

I use to shoot revolver and my times were in t he 120s. Now I'm shooting 170s so I want to get those times back down.

Very good advice from everyone so far. Thanks. I'll be adding it to my practice and hopefully my match experiences.
You have some things that will work for you and some that will work against you.

Firstly, Steel Challenge have set courses of fire, so that practice should be constant. And recoil is not the issue with a .22 that it can be for centre fire pistols. Finally, the .22 is an accurate round in most guns, or at least one brand of ammo will be.

What will be working against you are your grip strength and the fact that shooting from a wheelchair means that you cannot fine tune your "stance" easily.

My advice would be firstly to find the ammo that shoots best for you in your pistol. Tack driving accuracy will not be needed but it certainly won't hurt your shooting to know that your ammo is the best for your gun in your hands.

Next, get some .22 snap caps (yes they do exist) and make it a habit to dry fire your pistol for 10 - 15 minutes every day. Concentrate on trigger control and follow through but try to find that spot where your are just short of firing the pistol and then placing the last bit of pressure on the trigger without disturbing the sights.

At the range pick a stage and work at bringing your pistol up and firing one shot on each plate. When you can hit every plate with one shot then shoot the stage as a whole but slowly. Concentrate only on hitting every plate with one shot. Slowly work up your speed so that you are still hitting each plate with only one shot concentrating on the sights and trigger control.

Then time your last few runs and record these times in a practice diary.

On your next range trip start at that same stage. Go through one cycle of aiming and dry firing at each target before shooting the stage once slowly then twice more timing your run and recording the runs in your diary. Then move onto another stage and start it all over again.

Each time you go to the range have one run through of dry firing each target, one run firing slowly, concentrating on hitting each target with one shot, and two timed runs on each stage you have previously shot, recording those times.

You will see improvements in your times after a while. And you will know these are improvements because you have recorded them.

And good luck.

Last edited by Kiwi cop; 05-12-2018 at 08:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: