View Single Post

Old 05-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Liked 17,298 Times in 6,649 Posts

I would have to agree, even though I've never shot a 4513TSW. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild for that matter. Either version.

That being said, neither of my 457s have much in the way of slide rattle. Both lock up tight, both are very accurate, in fact more accurate than am I. I think I've posted pictures of the large ragged hole in the center of reduced sized targets at 21 or so feet. I've even been able to place head shots on those targets.

Everyone I've ever let shoot my 457 wants to know where he can get one. A friend offered to buy it from me on the spot, and he's a 1911 fan.

I worry about frame where on all of my 3rd Gens, which is why I pay so much attention to cleaning and lubricating them.

While it's definitely not TSW quality, it's still better than most other guns out there. About the only things I'd consider doing, if I could get the parts reasonably, would be replacing the recoil guide rod and disconnector with metal parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
As I own both a 457 and several 4513TSWs including a PC Shorty 45 MKII and have shot the models extensively, I will opine on the topic of the 457 vs 4513TSW.

While the 457 is a fine pistol in its own right and far better than many competing guns, it is not equal to a 4513TSW. In build quality or accuracy. Reliability? Yes. The 457 is every bit as reliable as any other 3rd gen gun I own.

But when you try to get a 457 to shoot sub 3 inch groups at the 15 yard line - using match grade 230 grain ammunition, you are most likely going to be frustrated and disappointed. I know I was. And my 457 is an early example. And a very fine 45 carry gun. But it is no 4513TSW.

The 4513TSW, using the same match grade ammo, easily performs the task. And its box frame rails, delayed lock up and matched frame and slide all play a part in that increased inherent accuracy.

The TSW guns were also built to last while shooting thousands of rounds. While I would suppose that some of the techniques used to insure the long life and durability of the TSW guns was incorporated into the value line, my 457s that I own and have owned, all show much more frame rail wear than the 4513TSW guns, at similar round counts.

Now lest my post be construed as a slam on the 457, let me assure you it is not. I carry my 457 a lot. And I am confident that it will put the medicine where the hurt is in an unfortunate incident. And it is superbly reliable and accurate enough to do that.

But other than being "similar" to a 4513TSW in size and reliability, the 457 is not "the same" as a 4513TSW. My 0.02 Regards 18DAI