View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 12:20 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WIowegan View Post
A college buddy and I both went in the Army after graduating in 1964. He went OCS and I went PVT due to poor eyesight. He was issued a 1911 which he couldn't hit a barn with. I was on a base Bullseye team and used a supply room 1911 for center fire. I could hit a barn OK but the target was a real challenge. This was over 50 years ago and those old guns didn't get better during those years. These guns will sell to the unknowledgeable souvenir hunters.

I have been lucky enough to get two birth year(1942) Colt 1911-A1s over the years. One is all correct and the other mostly correct. Those guns cover my WW II need.
As some army vets will know-11B's and 11C's trained together (C's are motormen) The c's had to qualify with the 1911-the rest of us were there for "familiarization." We had one guy who had been shooting handguns with his dad since age 8-he was the only one who shot a score that qualified-and I don't think he was a "C", he barely made it. There were constant malfunctions while we spent an entire day on the range. I guess the range NCO's were embarrassed, but I'll bet all those 11 Charley's qualified with the help of a pencil. Hey, what else were they going to do? This was very early 1969.