View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat91 View Post
Want.

I’m a sucker for the Classics. I have a 27-9 and 586-8, and I love them as much as my 1970 production P&R 19-3. I have my 586 and 19 sittting together right now and darn if I can tell a substantial quality difference. S&W does a great job with the Classic line, and I don’t mind the lock but I’d be tickled pink if they started releasing Classic guns without them and even more so if they regressed engineering changes to the 1960s . It could be done with all that CNC machinery. But then I’d go bankrupt from trading guns to get them all. So it’s just as well for me that they don’t because my hubby would KILL me! Mama’s into wheelguns
It a way, it's probably better that they don't roll everything (and I do mean everything) back to the "good old days" as that smacks of producing "counterfeits" rather than producing an updated, new technology "replica" of the originals. I'm also certain that the cost would be prohibitive, CNC technology notwithstanding. Could you even do it (and do it right) without extensive trained gunsmithing labor? I don't think so.

Folks read me and sometimes think that I am just an old curmudgeon who hates the IL and MIM parts. The honest truth is that I probably own more S&W handguns right now with MIM parts than handguns without... and it doesn't bother me a bit. It's really many other aspects of the mothership's revolver art (and I do consider it "art") that would never motivate me to get really excited over a modern manufacturing technique-produced replica. The truth is that I'd be far more likely to buy a brand new S&W revolver design from the mothership than one trying to be something that it isn't. Example: I still have a Model 442-1 on my Want List. Go figure!
The Following User Likes This Post: