View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Liked 21,199 Times in 6,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Butcher View Post
In the early to mid 80's I built about 25 1911 "Night stand" grade guns. I used Federal Ordnance alloy frames, usually a rewelded slide, and mostly GI parts. The last one I sold was $135. I test fired every one they kept mixed ball ammo in a large paper plate @ 25 yards, and I guaranteed them to "Go Bang" Repeatedly! You couldn't get factory Colts to do that! I sand blasted everything but the frame and parkerized everything to match the frame. Then I refit the whole pistol (took 10 minutes more than normal reassembly)

Ivan
Ivan,

Did you have any problems with the Fed Ord frames? I bought one directly from Fed Ord in El Monte, Ca. when I was stationed in Ca. Drove to their store and bought it. Like a candy store of surplus guns.

The frame had some issues. Once it was assembled and test fired, it would double and triple at times. Usually about half a mag would go auto. Figured out the sear pin was drilled a touch low. Welded the hole and redrilled using a Colt frame as the template. Problem solved. and sold the gun to a Cop that new what problem it had.