View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 10:50 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 45,758 Times in 4,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
RK, what can you tell us about the Blanchard Front Sight ? Was the Red Ramp that we are all familiar with a later option than the Blanchard and that was the first style available?
I know what I know from Bill Cross and Mike Priwer and from letters from Roy. Here are their comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc44 View Post
...The Blanchard was the forerunner of S&W's red ramp. It is pictured in the first printing (only) of S&W's 1952 catalog. Subsequent printings show the red ramp. You see a few ".357" Magnums with the Blanchard ... but they are scarce!! ...

Bill
Mike's response to Bill's above comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepriwer View Post
...From what I have learned, there was some legal issue between Blanchard & S&W, and it resulted in the Blanchard insert having a very short life. Presumably it was something to do with paying/not-paying Blanchard a royalty...

Regards, Mike Priwer

Letter from Roy (to Mike Priwer) on two other 1952 shipped, engraved, Blanchard sighted revolvers that now live with me - thank you Mike

" ...your handguns were shipped on Dec 12, 1952, and delivered to Rex Firearms, ... the revolvers were engraved as a pair and finished in the two-tone blue nickel that was a favorite of the Rex Firearms Co. ... Both the barrels are 3.5 inches and equipped with the Blanchard red insert front sight, that was only used in 1952 (catalog photo copy enclosed) target hammers and standard triggers. These revolvers are exceptionally fine examples of S&W Master Engraver Harry B. Jarvis work... "

Set of 1952 Engraved Pintos with the Blanchard Sight referred to in the letter excerpted above:

For Reference - 1st Printing of the 1952 Catalog:

Later Printings - 1952 Catalog:

Last edited by RKmesa; 05-17-2018 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 26 Users Like Post: