View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Liked 1,469 Times in 511 Posts
Default $150 Remington 788

Happened to be in a gun shop a hundred miles or so from my home turf for an indoor Glock match. I was the last shooter scheduled so I had time on my hands. There was a 20 gun rifle rack out in the public area, and a large table with various boxes and cases of assorted ammo.
I noticed a Remington Nylon 66, in the rack, they are pretty obvious. It was in very good condition, priced at $250, a decent price but I was able to resist it so back it went. There were a couple of black guns, several shotguns... and a clip-fed bolt rifle. Wait, that is a 788! Quick glance at the muzzle indicated a likely .22 caliber. could it be a .222? Nope, a .223, and priced at $150! Condition was at least 95%, had a couple of scope mount holes in the barrel, darn it and a Weaver mount but I didn't put it down!
After buying it, no negotiation even tried, I asked what was the deal with the table of ammo and the clerk said a local doctor, very good friend of the owner came in and said his wife had awoke that morning with the ultimatum, the guns and ammo had to go! The entire rack of gun and the table of ammo were from him. There was a very nice Winchester model 88, a Remington model 34 .22LR and other very nice rifles at good prices but I think I got the pick of the litter!
Anyone know how many 788's were produced in .223?
!

Last edited by Trooperdan; 05-13-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add question on production qty.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: