Thread: AA#7 357 loads
View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts

I've learned the hard way to not stick with one publication, or even two. I too use Accurate Powders. I load for my .357 J-frame. I wanted to try some #9 powder for the first time. Western Powders says the start load for 158 Hornady XTP at 1200 fps is 12.4grs. Lyman Load Data starts at 13.4 grs for the same load. I loaded 20 rounds as an experiment at 12.4 grs. Thinking it was the safer load. I went to the range, and KABOOM. Damn near blew the gun out of my hand with a huge explosion. I have a bag with the remaining rounds to this day, dated April 2016. I have since got the Hornady 10th edition reloading book. It says to start their 158 XTP rounds at 9.7 grs, at 1000 fps. Their top load is 11.5 grs at 1200 fps. I'm now loading them at 9.7 grs of #9 and they shoot much easier. Over the years, I've learned to use many different manuals. Then again, after so many years, I've created my own set of notes on which powders to use on which rounds. As you move forward in this hobby. Take good notes on everything. Powder, load, bullet. You'll soon have your own set of notes to rely on.