View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug M. View Post
Perceived recoil is subjective; like some, I prefer the .44 special in a medium sized snubby (296) over a J frame with any typical duty load in .38 or 9mm (my sole J frame now is a 940). I found that only the WC target load or standard velocity 158 grain SWC is a good choice in a J frame. YMMV, but I'll bet a lot that for the vast majority (98+%) of shooters, if tested with a shot timer and held to a reasonable standard, the .357 in a J frame is simply not a good choice.

To me, a J frame is almost NEVER a sole carry gun, but is only a BUG, and to be used more or less at contact range. As such, I am looking for decent penetration and controllability, not maximum potential performance that is almost certainly wasted. In my 940, I carry 147 grain gold dot at standard pressure and velocity, because it is a proven load and the least obnoxious to shoot.
I certainly prefer my 696 filled with 200gr Gold Dot .44Specials for sure for around town; for Woods, 255 grain Underwood HC Keith's are the ticket. But for nighttime neighborhood walks with dogs, and CVS runs before it closes... It's much easier to pocket (2) "J" frames; strong side front pocket and rear pocket in pocket holsters and/or a Bianchi M58 Holster.

As to the emboldened/highlighted... you are correct in regards to both of those loadings at being very effective; there are others too though! Heavy hard cast full wad cutters are absolutely devastating. I only thought they were good for punching paper until I contacted Tim Sundles and he recommended them for J frames. Then I read a couple dozen instances/first hand experiences from ex-cops that carried this load in the 60's, 70's, and 80's that swore by them to be a fight stopper. Other similar accounts were with the semi-wad cutter HP's made of soft cast lead, no jacket, again, pushed to about 850fps from a 2" J frame Smith or D frame Colt. So when I carry my J's, one is loaded with Buffalo Bore full wads and the other is with the "BB" semi-wad HP soft casts. And like you said, split times are very good with both loads.

Good job on the 147 standard pressure GD's. I've been carrying them for years in my CZ P-01. An equal load that I use interchangeably is the 147 grain, standard pressure, Federal HST's. Both are stellar!

Lastly, a pic is of an IDPA target @ 10 yards with the aforementioned M36 "J's", each loaded with the above mentioned loads.

Pic of my 12"x18" popper plate from a farm shoot day I organized last summer. 90% of these hits are at 20+ yards; with above mentioned loads out of both my J frame Smiths and my D frame Colt. Both my brothers "J" frames and two other friends with their J frame Smith...

Last pic is of my "Woods Carry" primary and back-up. My 629 with the 255 Keiths from Underwood and M36 with the Hard Cast full-wads from Buffalo Bore... makes for a great combo!

Last edited by HamHands; 05-13-2018 at 05:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: