View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Liked 380 Times in 136 Posts
Default My first Second Gen - Longwinded version

There's a lot of love here for the first and third generation guns here, but less for the second generation. I've owned a couple of Model 39s, a 6906, and a 908 over the years, never a second gen. I've read that the middle platform was less good than the older and newer models. Was I missing anything essential?

Well, it's time to find out. A 469 finally called my name and I couldn't resist it. At least, not for only $250. I gave it a good cleaning, not that it needed much in that department, and put almost three boxes of 115 grain FMJs through it. It shot exactly like the 6906 that I fondly remember. It was certainly combat accurate for me, meaning that at 15 yards I can hit a gallon milk jug in fairly quick fire. Otherwise, how does it stack up to the later pistol?

It has the standard hooked trigger guard of the breed. My previous 6906 had the rounded guard. The pistol still fits my holsters, so that's not an issue. Since I don't ususally shoot with a high off-hand, the squared guard doesn't help or hinder me. It's there, though, so I might as well practice with it to see if it help my shooting.

As far as sights go, I know some shooters prefer the Novak style sights to the rounded design of the 469. This is just a matter of what we're used to, IMHO. Like lots of older shooters, I've shot decades of pistols from the Colt Government model on down without Novaks. Did the new sights suddenly turn me into Annie Oakley? Hah! White dots? The 469 has the white outline rear and that silly yellow stripe on the front sight. No help there. On the other hand, no hindrance, either. The blade is integral with the slide while the 3rd gen has a drift adjustable front sight. There's an advantage there for some; I've never drifted a sight nor had one replaced.

Some people will miss the right side safety. I rarely used the one on the '06 and didn't miss it on the 908. I consider its lack on my 469 a blessing, considering the clunky design S&W used.

One thing S&W did right on the 3rd gen were the grips. The second generation grips – I guess you'd call it a pebble texture - may be attractive, but they're slick as owl s***. On the plus side, the backstrap is possitively checkered and offers much better purchase than the grip of the '06.

A design change from 2nd to 3rd was the elimination of the half-cock notch on the hammer. There doesn't seem to be advantage to firsing DA from the half-cock, although I sort of like the brief take-up. Unless there's a safety issue in carrying the gun that way, I may spend a little range time firing that way. I know there are ex- and current armorers here. Am I being unsafe?

The pistol, BTW, either didn't need the safety recall or was sent in and repaired. Is there any way to tell if it was fixed? Did Smith mark overhauled guns?

The serial prefix is TAE. I think that's 1986. Right or wrong?

Although I'm not old old, I'm getting to the point that the guns I buy are probably my last. So far, I'm satisfied with this one.

Sorry for being longwinded. Even my students are starting to notice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 469 08+.jpg (154.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 469 09.jpg (171.3 KB, 50 views)
The Following 9 Users Like Post: