View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 08:11 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,643 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler5 View Post
I've also read (elsewhere) that MIM parts have been used for years in the automotive industry, including for things like connecting rods and rocker arms inside motors. I don't read much about modern car engines dying because MIM parts are failing. And Ruger supposedly has been making MIM revolver frames for decades - don't hear about them breaking very often, either.
I'm not a metallurgist but just FYI, while MIM may be used in the automotive industry (I don't know in what capacity) it isn't used for connecting rods. You are confusing MIM with sintered metal - another form of powdered metal technology.

Again, Ruger may also use MIM, but certainly not for revolver or other firearm frames. In this instance you are confusing MIM with investment or "lost wax" casting, which uses conventional molten metal.

MIM is a great technology which results in a win / win situation for manufacturers and consumers. It allows for the production of precision small parts that require minimal machining, at lower costs than than forging and machining the same part. MIM parts are more consistent in both dimension and quality -that is why you read about many parts being able to be "dropped-in" that once required fitting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob